Archived Blog Posts
Storm Alerts - Why Are They Important
It doesn’t matter what season it is, there is always a risk of extreme weather. Thunderstorms, tornadoes, blizzards, and more can happen here in Central Illinois, and it is important to know who to turn to stay informed about when they’ll hit and how to protect yourself and your loved ones. In this day and age, it is easy to fall into the habit of letting ourselves be informed only by the posts we come across on Facebook and other social media platforms. While that is a good way to keep in touch while a storm event is already happening, it is possible to get the wrong information prior to the weather actually changing. Because of this, it is also difficult to understand some of the alerts given by accurate sources. That is why it is important for people to educate themselves.
The first thing to pay attention to is the source. Who should you be getting your information from? It is best to follow official weather systems and services, whether they are local or national. In Illinois, we have a varying list of storms that can hit. Some of the best sources for the Central Illinois area are:
These sites can provide a more local idea of the severe weather that the Central Illinois area will face at any given time. They also provide information on preparation and on the safety and rescue resources in the area. There are also nationally recognized resources that can be of great use as well.
The next important thing to remember is the difference between a watch, warning, and advisory.
- Watch - there’s a chance the condition will happen. This alert usually covers a large geographical area for a lengthy time period.
- Warning - the related weather is already occurring or is likely to occur. This alert means it’s time to take proper protective measures. Generally issued for much smaller geographical areas and shorter/more definite time frames.
- Advisory - in between a watch and a warning. The expected weather has a good chance of occurring, even a likely chance of occurring. Typically used for less severe weather (ie; wind advisory, freezing rain advisory).
Knowing the differences between these three alerts can help you identify whether you need to take safety precautions or whether you should just stay indoors. Each warning and advisory will mean something specific though, and it is important to stay tuned into the media for your preferred weather stations.
All of this information should help you keep you and the people around you safe. Central Illinois has finicky weather, but staying alert and informed can help you handle it much easier.
Information retrieved from
If you experience damage from any type of storm, you can always contact SERVPRO® of Peoria to help with the cleanup and restoration. 309-637-7300
Dangerous Chemical Safety
We come into contact with chemicals every day. We put products in our hair and use detergent to clean our clothes. We put gasoline in our cars and use vinegar to add flavor to otherwise dull vegetables. Because of our constant use of chemicals, it’s important to know how to identify and differentiate between the ones that are harmless and the ones that could kill you. While the less dangerous chemicals will usually just have directions that warn that it may be flammable and to keep it out of your eyes and mouth, there are symbols to identify exact reactions and side effects of the highly dangerous ones. The following is a list of those symbols and their meanings.
- This symbol is identified by the silhouette of a human which looks like it is dissolving from the inside out and represents hazards like:
- Reproductive Toxicity
- Respiratory Sensitizer
- Target Organ Toxicity
- Aspiration Toxicity
- The flame on this symbol represents hazards like:
- Emits Flammable Gas
- Organic Peroxides
- This punctuation warning represents hazards like:
- Irritant (skin and eye)
- Skin Sensitizer
- Acute Toxicity (harmful)
- Narcotic Effects
- Respiratory Tract Irritant
- Hazardous to Ozone Layer (Non-Mandatory
- This symbol looks almost like the silhouette a popsicle and represents hazards like:
- This symbol depicts acid coming into contact with skin or other solid objects represents hazards like:
- Skin Corrosion/Burns
- Eye Damage
- Corrosive to Metals
- This explosive symbol represents hazards like:
- Organic Peroxides
Flame Over Circle
- The circle on fire represents hazards like:
- While not a mandatory symbol, the damaged nature represents hazards like:
Skull and Crossbones
- Possibly the most deterring symbol of the bunch, the skull and crossbones represent hazards like:
- Acute Toxicity (fatal or toxic)
When you know what each hazard symbol means, you have the ability to protect yourself and your loved ones from making a mistake that could leave them blind, with scars, or worse. Take the time to learn the symbols, memorize them, and teach them to your kids. It could save a life.
Information retrieved from https://www.osha.gov/Publications/HazComm_QuickCard_Pictogram.html
If you experience water or fire damage, whether they’re due to chemicals or not, remember to call SERVPRO® of Peoria for your cleaning and restoration needs. 309-637-7300
What to Do Until Help Arrives
With the lowered temperatures from last week and the resulting frozen and broken water pipes, it seems appropriate to really talk about that to do until professionals can reach you to fix and/or dry your property. SERVPRO® teams are doing their best to get every job done quickly and completely so they can move on to the next site, but there were a great deal of homes and businesses affected by the cold. Because of this, we want to make sure that you know what to do to stop whatever the cause of the damage is and slow the damage process so that when we come in to restore your property, we can move quicker.
There are a few things you need to ask yourself as soon as water damage occurs.
- “Is it safe to stay in the house?”
- “Are there any electrical or ‘slip and fall’ hazards?”
- “Can I perform the tasks at hand safely? Or should the whole process be left to professionals?”
- “Will I be able to move wet objects? Are there objects that are too heavy to move away from the damage?”
Once these questions have been answered, you can proceed to do whatever you can do on your own.
You can remove excess water by mopping and blotting; but remember that the water is likely not just on the floor. Wiping excess water from wood furniture is especially important. Wood is particularly susceptible to water damage. It’s best to remove lamps and other tabletop items and promptly soak up as much water from the wood as is possible. While the damage will be different than that of a wood surface, other furniture materials and household items can be affected by water as well. It is best to prop wet upholstery and cushions and place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting. Never leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods out of the way of the moisture. Above all, just remember that removing excess water will prevent it from spreading to other items or other locations.
Never use a household vacuum to suck up water. There are other ways to dry out your floor, carpeting, and walls. If it were summer, turning the air conditioning on would help with drying. In winter however, running the AC is not always an acceptable solution (especially in Illinois right now with temperatures near freezing). Rather than turn down the heat, it’s better to use a dehumidifier to dry the air in the building. The only exception to this option is if there is an electrical issue present with the water damage. In that case, don’t use any electrical devices; televisions, microwaves, etc.
It’s easy to overlook this next task, but it is imperative to remove colored rugs from wet carpeting. The same goes for books, magazines or other colored items. The colors in these items could bleed into carpeting, leaving stains that will require special equipment to remove. Just as well, moving art objects to a safe, dry place can reduce damages to walls, floors, and the art itself.
By gathering loose items and keeping the water damage contained to as small of a place as possible, it is likely that the restoration of the property will be easy and much less expensive.
Winter weather is tough on buildings, and broken pipes can cause some of the worst damage. Just be prepared and hold on to your patience knowing that the teams at SERVPRO® will get to you as soon as they possibly can. We will always do our best to make it “Like It Never Even Happened”®.
If you experience water damage from broken pipes, roof leaks, or anything else be sure to get a hold of the professionals at SERVPRO® of Peoria for your cleaning and restoration needs. 309-637-7300
Home Fire Statistics
In life, especially during your youth, there are many different reasons you might hear the phrase, “Don’t become a statistic.” Often, that advice is trying to deter you from getting in trouble; warning against drinking, drugs, or other illicit activities. In life there are other dangers for which everyone should avoid becoming a statistic - one of the scariest being fires.
The following is a list of various home fire statistics (published in 2017) for you to consider.
- Between 2011-2015, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 358,500 home structure fires with an annual average of
- 2,510 civilian fire deaths
- 12,300 civilian fire injuries
- $6.7 billion in direct damage
- The leading causes of home structure fires are
- Electrical distribution and lighting equipment
- Heating equipment
- Cooking equipment
- Smoking materials
- The leading origins of these fires are
- Kitchen or cooking area
- Confined chimney or flue fire
- Living room, family room or den
- People between the ages of 25-64 have a greater risk of death or injury in a house structure fire
- 93% of structure fire deaths and 80% of all fire deaths are due to home structure fires.
- Property use plays a factor in the amount of fires that occur as well. For example
- One- or two-family home, (including manufactured home) amount to 249,500 - or 70% - of home structure fires
- Apartment or other multifamily housing amount to 109,000 - the other 30% - of home structure fires.
- In America, an average of seven people die in fires per day.
- Home fire deaths peak in the cooler months.
This list is a highly condensed version of the lists out there, provided by groups like the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), to keep you and those you love aware of the causes and effects of house fires. The most important thing to take away from the information included here is that no matter your age, the size of your household, etc. your home is at risk. Take precautions, make a plan, and trust your local rescue teams.
Don’t become a statistic.
Information retrieved from: https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/Building-and-life-safety/osHomes.ashx
If you do experience damages from a house fire, please don’t hesitate SERVPRO® of Peoria for the cleaning and restoration of your property. 309-637-7300
Super Bowl Fire Safety
Game day is approaching! The Patriots and the Rams are going to be fighting for victory in the 2019 Super Bowl and fans will be cheering them on from the stands and in front of their televisions. As fans root for their respective teams, they’ll be cooking and partying as well. Whenever big events are mixed with cooking and other excitement, it is important to keep fire safety in mind; because fires in small company are disastrous, but fires involving large groups of people are all out chaos. There are some simple things you can remember on game day to keep you and your guests safe.
First thing to remember is that, while not the only cause, the most common source of fires during Super Bowl Sunday is cooking fires. To prevent those types of fires, your cooking area needs to stay organized. Oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, curtains, and anything else that is flammable should be kept away from stovetops and from any other heat sources (toasters, grills, etc.). As we have mentioned in other postings about fire safety, you should also have a kid free zone of three feet surrounding the cooking area. This will help avoid accidental burns, fires, or injuries from knives or appliances. While the kitchen should be a kid free zone, there should always be a person in the kitchen monitoring the food being cooked and whatever appliance is cooking it. Use timers to keep track of how long things should be cooked, especially if hosting duties pull you from the kitchen. Stay awake and stay alert. If things are left unattended for too long, it could mean big trouble and an early end to the party.
Because of the winter season, it is likely that extra heat sources will be added to the party. If you are planning to use a space heater or a fireplace to warm your home or garage during the game festivities, it is important to take the proper safety precautions. We have posted information on both Fireplace and Portable Space Heater safety. If you would like an in depth list of safety measures to take you can go read those blogs. However, for both it is important to remember:
- Keep pets, kids, people, and flammable objects at least three feet away from them at all times.
- Avoid knocking over space heaters - and if they do fall, pick them up as soon as possible.
- Always keep a safety screen in front of fireplaces to prevent stray coals or flames from setting your house or garage on fire.
Finally, make sure that you have a designated area for people who smoke. If you don’t allow smoking in your home, this could be a spot outdoors, in a shed, or in a garage. This spot should have a safe way for smokers to dispose of their cigarette butts and some precaution to take care of any fire that could be started by a cigarette (water, fire extinguisher, etc).
The most important part of game day isn’t who wins or loses, it’s the time you spend with your friends and family. That being said, it’s in your best interest to do everything you can to keep the party fun and as fire free as possible.
Information received from:
If a fire causes issues for you during the 2019 Super Bowl, reach out to SERVPRO® of Peoria for the cleaning and restoration of your property. 309-637-7300
Central Illinois Polar Vortex - Winter Safety Tips
Get ready Central Illinois. It's coming.
It looks like winter is finally catching up to the people of Central Illinois; and it is not holding back. Heading this way is a winter storm called a polar vortex. While there has already been some snowfall around here, the thing that makes a polar vortex so worrisome isn’t the snow, it’s the extreme cold.
To clarify, a polar vortex is, “a large pocket of very cold air, typically the coldest air in the Northern Hemisphere, which sits over the polar region during the winter season. This frigid air finds its way into the United States when the polar vortex is pushed farther south, occasionally reaching southern Canada and the northern Plains, Midwest and northeastern portions of the United States… The vortex is capable of delivering subzero temperatures...”
That being said, it seems as though this could be the coldest part of 2019. There have been forecasts predicting wind chills near -45? here in Illinois and areas to the north of us have already started to get hit. Even today, we went from temperatures in the mid-thirties all the way down to the teens, and all within a couple of hours! With all of the crazy temperature drops, it is important to really take action and prepare yourself and the people around you for the wild winter weather.
We have previously posted a blog on blizzard safety and the measures you need to take to stay safe in those winter weather situations. We encourage you to take a look at that post for a more in depth description of how to handle extreme cold and extreme snow. We are simply wanting to reach out to give those who are curious a couple of quick tips and links to keep you informed during this time.
First thing first, know your weather warnings.
- Winter Storm Warning: Life-threatening, severe winter conditions have begun or will begin within 24 hours.
- Blizzard Warning: Sustained winds or frequent gusts of 35 miles per hour or greater, plus considerable falling or blowing snow reducing visibility to less than a quarter mile, expected for 3+ hours.
- Wind Chill Temperature: How cold people and animals feel when outside. As wind increases, heat is carried away from your body at a faster rate, driving down your body temperature and making you feel much colder. The wind chill temperature is not the actual temperature but rather how wind and cold feel on exposed skin.
- Winter Storm Watch: Winter storm conditions possible within the next 36 to 48 hours. Review your winter storm plans and stay informed about weather conditions.
Once you have received notice of severe winter weather, here are just a few of many tips to follow to get you through it.
- Reduce fear by talking with your family about what to do if a winter storm watch or warning is issued.
- Winterize your vehicle to avoid getting stranded - get your battery checked and maintain your antifreeze, wipers and washer fluid, ignition system, thermostat, lights, flashing hazard lights, exhaust system, heater, brakes, defroster, and oil.
- Install good winter tires with adequate tread.
- Service snow removal equipment before the winter storm season and maintain it in good working order.
- Make sure each member of the household has a warm coat, gloves/mittens, hat, water-resistant boots, extra blankets and warm clothing.
- Assemble an emergency preparedness kit and create a household evacuation plan (for humans and pets)
- Bring pets indoors - make sure you have emergency kits for pets too with food, water, waste cleanup, and warmth.
- Stay informed about your community’s risk and response plans.
The links below will direct you to the National Weather Service website and to the Red Cross website for more information about how to stay safe and warm. There is also a link to our blizzard safety blog that is full of helpful tips.
The important thing to remember is that the storm will pass; and when it does it will be easier to relax if you took the proper precautions before hand.
Information received from:
If you experience damage from the storm, remember you can always get contact SERVPRO® of Peoria for a speedy and complete cleanup and restoration of your property. 309-637-7300
Water Classifications - Black vs Gray
Water is an important resource, but it can also be the source of damage and stress. When water causes damages, it is imperative that you know the different water classifications. Knowing the differences between rainwater, gray water, and black water can make it possible to respond to the damage quickly and correctly.
First thing’s first - What distinguishes each water type from the others? Rainwater of course is the naturally occurring water that falls from the sky, eventually making its way to lakes, creeks, rivers, and other water sources. Rainwater, though natural, can come into contact with air pathogens and can collect dirt and other content when it lands on the ground or on rooftops. Gray water is a little more complicated. Gray water, while not particularly clean, is not dangerous. Gray water is water that usually come from household appliances such as clothes washers, dishwashers, showers and other similar areas. The water usually contains leftover chemicals (i.e. soaps, detergents, cleaning solutions, oils). As long as the chemicals that are being flushed through gray water are environmentally friendly or organic, this water can be filtered and reused. While accumulated rain or gray water can be an issue for a home or business, it is black water that should be avoided at all costs. Black water is water that has come into contact with human waste and/or other biohazards. This water could cause health issues in humans and other living things, and cause damage to the surrounding land. This water needs to be cleaned out by professionals who know what their doing and who have the equipment to handle the job safely and in a sanitary manor.
The three above mentioned water classes can be taken care of, some more easily than others. The important thing to remember is that you can try to dry and clean up some rain or gray water damages before calling in the professionals to dry it and look for mold or other issues left behind; But when it comes to black water, there is nothing you can do except get to a safe spot and wait for people who know how to safely remove it to come in and do just that. Property damage can be repaired and items can be replaced, but the health of you and your loved ones is not worth risking.
Information retrieved from:
If you have a problem with rain water, gray water, or black water, you can always call SERVPRO® of Peoria to handle the property cleanup and restoration. 309-637-7300
Commercial Specialty Cleaning
When you own and/or operate a business, you put excessive amounts of effort into making sure that the building is clean. You do this not only to make sure that the place is presentable, but also to make sure that your employees and your clients are taken care of as well. Having a daily or weekly cleaning crew come in to clean the things that more frequently need cleaning (vacuuming, toilets, dusting, etc.) is important. However, there are other things that require a different type of professional with a different set of skills. SERVPRO® has professionals that can help with that kind of cleaning.
Whether it is a restaurant, apartment complex, a mom-and-pop shop, or any other businesses, there are certain extra measures that need to be taken to keep everything in working order. Air vents need to be cleaned out to prevent issues with air quality and prevent fire and mold issues. It is important to get a professional in to check everything out, because they will be able to spot any issues that an untrained eye might miss. These professionals will also be able to identify any issues with mold in walls and carpets. Annual maintenance is the best way to keep your business in good shape and avoid any problems with the air or cleanliness of the business.
Commercial cleaning with SERVPRO® doesn’t only include annual cleaning. Commercial cleaning also takes care of any damages that come from storm, fire, water, and other damages that can harm a business. When unexpected circumstances affect a business, it is important to get a team of people who know what their doing in to help as soon as possible. The success and stability of a business after damage occurs depends on the speed at which the cleaning and restoration process begins.
If your business is in need of professional cleaning, reach out to SERVPRO® of Peoria at 309-637-7300. We are, “Here to Help®”.
It seems as though there are an excess amount of warnings and alerts when it comes to winter months in Central Illinois. It can become overwhelming, but all of the alerts are more than warranted. Winter comes with a laundry list of risks, and not all of them have to do with the freezing temperatures. Severe winter weather can last for 24-hours or more and heightens the risks of:
- car accidents
- carbon monoxide poisoning
- heart attacks from overexertion
- heat, power, and communication services loss
- health issues in older adults, young children, and previously sick individuals
Through all of this, there are still things you can do to keep you and the people you care for safe throughout the storm. The basics, of course, start with finding shelter. That means stay off the roads, staying indoors, and dressing warmly. Invite your friends and neighbors to stay with you if your home will be safer than theirs. There are still so many actions you can take before any storms hit:
- Be Prepared:
- Know what to expect from the area you live in.
- Get your home ready.
- If you can afford outdoor generators, buy them ahead of time.
- Build kits with enough supplies to last you days and a way to keep track of the weather reports (ie: a battery powered radio).
- Keep a kit in your home and in your car.
- Know how to identify and treat hypothermia and frostbite.
- Layers upon layers of clothing will help whether you have generators/heaters or not.
- Speaking of generators, only use them outdoors, never heat your home with a gas stovetop or oven, and follow all safety measures. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real danger.
- Avoid heart attacks and other health problems by avoiding any overexertion.
- Keep a close eye on any loved ones who are elderly, particularly young, or had a preexisting condition that could be exacerbated by the cold.
When the storm passes, it is important to check your home, business, and vehicle identify any damages that may have occurred. Once everything is checked out, hopefully these tips will have made it possible for you and your loved ones to recover as quickly as possible.
Information retrieved from: https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather
If you do experience damage from a winter storm this year, remember that SERVPRO® of Peoria is “Here to help®.” 309-637-7300
Portable Space Heater Dos & Don'ts
This helpful item can be a major hazard if not used with caution.
During these winter months it is important to remember that the portable heater you keep by your bed or at your desk could cause a fire. Here is a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” to reduce the risks.
Portable Heater Do’s:
- Know your space heater. By reading the manual before use, you are more likely to know what to expect from the heater and be able to identify if something is seriously wrong with it or not.
- Location is everything! Place the heater where no people or pet will bump into it. If this is something you are particularly worried about, find a heater that will set off an alarm when it’s bumped over.
- Make sure to supervise pets and children when they use the heater. If the pet or child is a risk for knocking it over or playing with it, it might be best to place it out of reach in a spot where it won’t be bumped or set anything on fire.
- When you are asleep turn off the heater to avoid any accidents while you and the rest of your family sleep.
- Remember the three-feet rule. Heaters should be placed at least three feet away from any objects.
- Clean heaters are safe heaters. Make sure to routinely clean out your heater to prevent dust or dirt from collecting and burning up on the heat source.
- Plug the heater directly into a wall outlet. By illuminating the use of extension cords or power strips, there is less of a chance of a fire starting due to a secondary power source.
- Make sure that the heater is the correct size. Heaters that are too small may not give the desired effect, while heaters that are too large might pose a threat.
Portable Heater Don’ts:
- Don’t place heaters on anything flammable or that might have strands of fabric that could accidentally catch fire. Rugs, furniture, and wood surfaces are not suitable for heater placement.
- Leaving children and pets unsupervised around a heater should be avoided at all costs. Not only could they bump it and cause a fire, but if they touch a heater that is burning hot enough, they could end up with severe burns on their bodies.
- Moisture can cause burns, but could also ruin the appliance. Don’t handle a space heater with wet hands and avoid putting them in places where they may come into contact with water or any other liquids.
- Don’t let the cord of the heater get damaged. If the cord gets cut or frayed, you could end up dealing with an electrical fire.
- Space heaters are not meant to thaw pipes or dry clothing and should not be used for either of those purposes.
- Don’t leave space heaters on when you leave the room or the house. It’s better to come home to a cold house than to a house engulfed in flames.
By following these tips, you will be able to warm your house or business without any worry.
Information Retrieved from:
If you do experience a fire, you can always contact SERVPRO® of Peoria to help with the cleaning and restoration of the damage. 309-637-7300
Home Fire Escape Plans
The last thing you want to happen is to be coming up with a fire escape plan when a fire is already taking place. Home owners should always have a plan in place to get their loved ones out of the building quickly and safely. There are multiple things that should be kept in mind while developing these plans. The National Fire Protection Association has laid out a list of things to do to accomplish this. This list includes tips such as:
- Make a plan with everyone in your household. Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes and identify the locations of smoke alarms. Draw a floor plan of the home for children showing at least two ways out of each room (windows and doors).
- Closed doors can slow fires and the accompanying identifiers. Smoke alarms should be in or outside of every bedroom and on every level of a home.
- Make sure all identified escape routes are clear and that doors and windows can be opened quickly and easily.
- Pick a place outside that is a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet after they've escaped. Make note of this spot on the escape plan.
- Make sure your address is visible from the street for first responders to see.
- Make sure everyone knows the emergency phone number of the fire department so anyone in your home can call in the emergency.
- Make sure that one or more people is capable of and assigned to the task of helping infants or elderly family members out of the home.
- Make sure that security bars have emergency release devices inside for a quick escape. They will still keep your house secure, but in case of an emergency, they will be less likely to catch or stick.
- Make sure that your guests know your escape plan and that when you are a guest you know your host’s escape plan.
- Whenever a smoke alarm sounds be prepared for it to be a real fire.
- Never go back into the building. If you have a family member or pet missing from your outside meeting place, alert the first responders of this when they arrive. If you go back in you risk getting stuck inside yourself, so let the professionals do the rescuing.
In the event of a fire, being prepared is key. By making a plan and practicing what to do before the situation occurs, you and the people you love are much more likely to make it out with little to no injuries.
If you experience fire damages, be sure to contact SERVPRO® of Peoria at 309-637-7300. We are here to make the damage, “Like it never even happened.”
Preventing & Handling Ice Dams
Don't let your home be damaged by winter water!
In the winter, ice forms on the ground making for slippery and dangerous conditions. What people tend to forget though is that that ice forms in other places too, like the edges of rooftops. Ridges of ice form on the edges, forming what are called ice dams.
Cold temperatures will freeze the water along the edge of the roof to form and sustain the ice dams. However, on some homes the roof will be warmer in certain areas (generally due to chimneys, heat from the house, and exhaust systems). This will melt the snow from the top of the roof but not the edges. When the water pools above the ridge, it can cause the roof to leak, and in severe cases can cause it to collapse. Although you can’t control the weather or the temperature, there are ways you can handle and prevent ice dams.
- Remove snow from the roof using a "roof rake" and push broom.
- If water is already flowing into the building, a temporary solution is making channels through the lower edge of the dam. This will allow the dam to drain some of the water
- Prevent ice dams by making the ceiling air tight so no warm air can melt snow at the higher part of the roof.
- Increase the ceiling/roof insulation to reduce heat loss.
- Use a natural roof ventilation system.
- Make sure that once heat on the roof is reduced that you keep an eye on how much snow is being collected.
Ice dams can be prevented and damages from them can be fixed, but it is important to know the risks of handling them yourself. Don’t risk your home or your safety; hire a professional to deal with the situation for you.
Information retrieved from https://extension.umn.edu/protecting-home-rain-and-ice/dealing-and-preventing-ice-dams
If you end up with damages from an ice dam this winter, be sure to call SERVPRO of Peoria for the cleaning and restoration of your home and its contents at (309) 637-7300.
Continuing Education Classes
Insurance professionals (agents, brokers, producers, etc) have an obligation to keep their licenses and certifications up to date. To do this, they are required to take certain courses and earn credit hours towards those certifications. Courses in ethics, legal information, insurance trends, and so much more are provided through SERVPRO® through our Continuing Education (CE) Classes for insurance professionals to attend at no cost to them. Recently, SERVPRO® of Peoria held a couple of these classes for professionals in and around our community. The Ethics Bootcamp course and the Essentials of Legal Liability and Insured Status course were just two of the many informational courses that we have and will continue to have taught within out facility.
SERVPRO® sponsors these courses for a number of reasons, the most important being the fostering and strengthening of our relationships with the insurance professionals in the communities we service. When we make it clear that we care about the people who help insure the home and business owners in our area, it will make choosing SERVPRO® for the cleaning and restoration needs of those clients an even easier choice. We want to make sure that people dealing with water or fire damage and the professionals advising them know that we are making efforts to help them with the process even before the event happens.
If you or someone you know is an insurance professional and would like more information on how to sign up for any of our upcoming CE Classes, you can contact SERVPRO® of Peoria at 309-637-7300.
If you experience water or fire damage and need someone for the cleanup and restoration of your property, just remember that we are, “Here to help.®”
New Year Resolution: Set-Up Business ERP
The new year is coming. While everyone is making their resolutions to work out more or to spend less money, as a business owner, you can make a resolution that could actually help beyond the first month of the year.
SERVPRO offers businesses free Emergency Ready Profiles (ERPs). If you haven’t heard about these profiles yet, it's important to know that they contain:
- An emergency action checklist
- Utility contact & shut off
- Property overview
- Primary contacts
- Insurance information
Having all of this information in one place makes it possible to act more quickly in a crisis situation. The faster you respond to any damage situation, the more likely it is that the loss with be smaller. Not to mention that the cost to clean or restore what was lost will likely be lower as well.
50% of businesses that shut down after damages and loss will not end up opening their doors again. The businesses that do reopen usually do because they had some sort of preparedness plan. We at SERVPRO are offering to build your business a plan for no cost to you. We are in the business of making sure that people are ready for whatever might come their way.
That being said, make your 2019 resolution one that will count. Get prepared with a SERVPRO ERP.
If you do experience damages in this or the new year, be sure to contact SERVPRO of Peoria at (309)637-7300
One of the most stressful parts of dealing with any loss is realizing that the electronics that you spent so much money have been damaged as well. Technology is expensive, and we take all sorts of steps to protect them. Before you spend the money to replace your electronics, contact the closest SERVPRO. They might be able to restore the objects and save you the trouble of replacing them.
SERVPRO is a proud user of Fireline and their impressive contents restoration tools. Their approved solution to electronic friendly cleaning included modified water, special detergents, and heat and mechanical action. With this solution they have been able to save many types of electronics in both residential and commercial losses.
The types of items that can be cleaned in each type of loss include:
- Computer Systems
- Entertainment Centers
- Gaming Consoles
- Cable & Satellite Receivers
- Large Appliances
- Sewing Machines
- Vacuum Cleaners
- Fitness Equipment
- Digital Video Recorders
- Computers & Servers
- Cash Registers
- Fax Machines
- Automotive Analyzers
- Telephone Switchers
- Medical & Dental Equipment
- Security Equipment
- Machine Equipment
- Rail Equipment
- Small Appliances
SERVPRO understands that while electronics are not our lives, it’s very inconvenient when they stop working for us. That is why when a disaster occurs, SERVPRO will do the best they can to make it, “Like it never happened.” ®
If you do experience the loss of your electronics in the Peoria area call SERVPRO as soon as possible! (309) 637-7300
Does Your Peoria Business Have An ERP On File?
ERP's can be a business saver!
Where is the shut-off valve? Where are the breaker boxes and control panels? What do we do first?
These are just some of the questions that you could be left asking and NOT knowing the answers to if there is a sudden emergency at your commercial office building.
SERVPRO has a program called ERP. That stands for Emergency Ready Profile and here are 4 quick benefits some of the benefits to setting one up for your commercial space:
- It is FREE. This means there is no need to stress about cost, giving you a great value at no financial requirement.
- All of your emergency information in one easy to read document. It will only take a small fraction of time to complete and will not require you to leave your current projects.
- A follow-up guide to get you back on track after a disaster. This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- It provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
To learn more about having SERVPRO setup the ERP for your commercial business call us now, (309) 637-7300.
Pipes Bursting In Peoria
Burst pipes can be avoided, here's how.
Freezing cold weather is coming to Peoria!
Winter weather can cause water or sewage pipes to freeze and burst. That, in turn, can cause flooding and expensive water damage to your home or business. Taking precautions before freezing temperatures from winter weather is upon us can really reduce the risk of your pipes from freezing.
Pipes that are most susceptible to freezing are:
- Exposed pipes inside the home that are not insulated at all.
- Pipes in exterior walls that are not insulated well.
- Any plumbing or pipes that are on the exterior of the home or underneath the home.
Preventing Pipe Freeze Outside
Make sure your hoses are disconnected from the spouts. Water trapped inside can actually expand and cause damage to the plumbing that it is connected to and might spell doom for your wallet.
If you do succumb to frozen pipe damage call SERVPRO of Peoria today, (309) 637-7300.
Holiday Fireplace Safety
“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire!”
It’s the holiday season, and nothing compares to relaxing in front of a fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a Christmas movie playing in the background. That’s why it’s important to keep yourself and your family safe by practicing fire safety.
To do this it is crucial to remember that for fireplaces and woodstoves you should always:
- Inspect and clean wood stove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
- Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
There are precautions you can take for portable space heaters as well, including:
- Keep combustible objects at least three feet away from portable heating devices.
- Buy only heaters evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Check to make the portable heater has a thermostat control mechanism, and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Only use crystal clear K-1 kerosene in kerosene heaters. Never overfill it. Use the heater in a well-ventilated room.
These simple actions can help keep this Christmas merry and bright. Let’s leave the roasting to the chestnuts!
SERVPRO of Peoria wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday.
(Tips received from: https://www.ready.gov/home-fires)
If you do experience fire damage in the Peoria area this Christmas call SERVPRO as soon as possible! (309) 637-7300
SERVPRO Cleans Up After Your Peoria Thanksgiving
SERVPRO Cleans For You!
Your bellies are all full, the dishes are piled up and the rug is an absolute mess ...
Do you really want to clean after all that cooking?
When you have larger parties of friends and family for the holidays and there are food, children, and pets involved, things WILL GET MESSY!
Let SERVPRO come over and deep clean your home after the holidays and leave the stress to us.
Give us a call and let us show you how we can work our magic on your carpets and rugs, nobody likes deep cleaning but luckily for you, we are amazing at it!
We have professional grade equipment that is still delicate enough for your most expensive rugs. Our technicians are trained in the art and science of drying so your home will look better than ever after our skilled workers are finished.
You have so much to worry about before the meal, let SERVPRO take care of things after your meal so you can actually enjoy your family and friends this year!
Call SERVPRO to make your after holiday carpet cleaning appointment today! (309) 637-7300
SERVPRO Training Building
When you are going through a loss and need a team to come in and help restore your home or business to its preloss state, it’s important to feel like you’ve chosen the right team to take care of your property. SERVPRO of Peoria is doing their best to make sure that the people who choose SERVPRO for their restoration and cleanup needs are choosing a company and a team that is as prepared to help as possible.
SERVPRO of Peoria has a training facility on site for the men and women who become SERVPRO Heroes. This building is the first IICRC certified flood house in Illinois, and is the only one like it so far. The building is put through different loss scenarios to create situations for our teams to investigate and restore as though they were working with an official client. Fire damage, water damage, and other losses are created to give Heroes a hands-on training experience. This prepares our team with an incredible sense of what they will be looking for in the field, giving you the peace of mind so desperately needed after any residential or commercial damage.
If you are interested in getting a sneak peak at how the team trains in the facility, please stay tuned to our website and our social media for videos of our next training period. We want to show you what our Heroes do to become the people who can truly make it “Like it never even happened.” ®
If you do experience fire or water damage in the Peoria area call SERVPRO as soon as possible! (309) 637-7300
CE Class Monitoring Moisture In Peoria
Never stop learning.
CE Classes or rather Continued Education Classes as they are often called are super important to the development of knowledge in the Restoration Industry!
Often times the restoration industry professionals and the people and companies that work alongside the restoration industry professionals are required to continue their education on all things restoration.
As a service, SERVPRO offers classes from time to time to those in need to help everyone grow inside our industry and so that ultimately our customers can benefit from the people in our area having the most up to date knowledge and expertise.
We "flooded our house" to demonstrate how we extract and monitor moisture in the house.
That’s Jason Fletcher our owner in the black shirt, and Todd Davis is the instructor in the suit. We also had some employees from SERVPRO of Springfield just down the road there too.
We love helping everyone and that does not always mean cleaning up messes!
Fire Damaged Carpet Restoration In Peoria
Let the pros help you!
Do you know how to decide if you should remove or replace your fire damaged carpet?
We are going to assume two things in this post:
- You have a fire damaged carpet in Peoria, IL.
- You made a smart move and called SERVPRO to help you in your time of need.
When making the decision of whether or not to remove the carpet or replace it you have to factor in a few different things, SERVPRO has professional technicians who have been trained by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) can do the job properly and with the best results.
This training will be the outlining factor of whether the carpet is too far gone to keep or if the damage is minimal and a good cleaning and restoration can be performed.
If your carpet is damaged from a fire and you need a professional to come to make the decision of whether to remove or replace the carpet, give SERVPRO a call today.
Turkey Fryer Safety In Peoria
Keep the turkey frying safe this year.
Turkey Fryer Safety for Thanksgiving
Turkey fryers are quickly becoming a yearly tradition when it comes to Thanksgiving Day, but they can also be very dangerous if not used properly.
Here are some turkey frying safety tips to remember this holiday season from a local Fire Department:
- Make sure that you don't overfill the pot by measuring the proper level with the turkey in water first.
- Once the oil has been heated to the proper level turn the burner off before adding the turkey.
- Make sure that you are using oven mitts and safety glasses when handling the turkey, and after you're done cooking allow the oil to cool sufficiently before disposing of it.
- Make sure that you are not wearing clothes with long sleeves, and that you are turning the pot handles in so that they don't get knocked over by accident.
- And keep kids and pets out of the kitchen while things are being prepared.
SERVPRO of Peoria hopes that everyone has a great and safe Thanksgiving this year and we are thankful to serve our community!
Thanksgiving Safety In Peoria
Think about potential hazards first!
Thanksgiving's one of the peak days for house fires and injuries related to cooking in America!
Let's talk about some safety tips that you and your family can practice to make sure you can continue to be thankful for a roof over your head.
- Keep an eye on the turkey and all of the food, stay close while it is cooking.
- Keep young children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should really stay as far away as possible.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over items that can cause you to spill hot liquids.
- Keep all sharp objects out of the reach of children.
- Never leave children alone in the room with a lit candle or unattended fire.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button. Just a reminder most modern smoke detectors are good for about a decade, after that, it is better to just replace the whole unit, not just the batteries.
If you follow these tips and use common sense you should have a grateful and safe holiday season.
If you do experience a fire damage in the Peoria area this Thanksgiving call SERVPRO as soon as possible! (309) 637-7300
Who Cleans Dryer Vents In Peoria?
SERVPRO cleans dryer vents in Peoria!
Your dryer vent system is many times the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality.
Inspecting your ductwork in your home should be a high priority. In most cases, the dryer system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty vents can be a breeding ground for odors, contaminants such as mold, and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
The dryer vent can also build up with lint and dust over time becoming extremely flammable. This could unknowingly put you and everyone in the unit at risk of fire.
SERVPRO has been cleaning dryer vents for years. In most cases, the process is simple and requires only a day to perform.
Get your dryer vent inspected at the very least and see if your unit is in good standing!
For more information or to schedule a duct or dryer vent cleaning appointment, contact SERVPRO today (309) 637-7300.
What Is Water Capable Of Damaging In Peoria?
Water is very powerful!
Rising flood water is capable of ruining an entire community of homes ... but that is just the tip of the iceberg!
The news is filled with images lately of the damage that rising flood waters have produced after the recent hurricanes and storms.
Not only is water a universal solvent which means it is capable of dissolving many materials but the speed at which it can move is stunningly devastating.
Take for example the record-breaking cresting of the rivers in the North Carolina and South Carolina regions. The damage produced from these unprecedented water levels included sinkholes, destruction of roadways and bridges as well as collapsing entire communities of homes.
We here at SERVPRO have the tools and knowledge to fix many of the different water damages to your homes and businesses.
If you have suffered severe water damage call SERVPRO today (309) 637-7300.
What Can I Expect After A Flood Damage In Peoria
What happens next?
The flood waters are gone ... what can you expect now?
It is hard to know what to do and what to expect when the flood waters from a major water damage finally recede.
You WILL have questions:
- Are there going to be situations you are not ready for?
- Will it ever be the way it used to be?
- Where do I begin?
- Who do I turn to that is trustworthy and professional?
The good news is that SERVPRO has been helping families and businesses just like yours for years here in Peoria. We have systems in place and technology on our side.
SERVPRO's expert technicians can help in every stage of the damage. With that being said the rules of cleanup vary from state to state and even county to county especially after a major flood that has impacted tens of thousands of residents.
SERVPRO has to adhere to the proper rules and regulations which can often change temporarily during emergencies when it comes to disposing of the trash and waste material as well as your belongings that are no longer salvageable.
This means that there will be some unsightly piles of items from time to time in neighborhoods all along the affected area. SERVPRO can work as quickly as the local municipalities allow and will always make sure they do their best to leave things better than the way they found them.
If you have severe water damage from flooding call SERVPRO today!
How To Wash Moldy Clothes After Flooding In Peoria
Mold can ruin your clothes.
After the floodwaters recede and the cleanup process starts you and your family are left with many questions.
One of the first and biggest issues to tackle is your clothes. Since you obviously need clothes to participate in everyday life you are going to want to get you and your family's clothes clean as soon as possible.
Here are a few tips to help make sure that your soiled moldy clothes get back to their pre-flood gloriousness.
First, check if your machines need to be cleaned. If they do follow this procedure:
- Even if your washing machine was not flooded, avoid using it until you know that the water is safe enough to drink and that your sewer line works.
- Before you wash clothes in the machine, run it through one full cycle.
- Be sure to use hot water and a disinfectant or sanitizer, such as chlorine bleach.
- Of course, if the machines are broken call a technician to come to help you first!
Now comes the washing of the clothes part ...
*It is best to wash clothes in hot water. Hot water kills mold more effectively than cold water and better removes mold spores and allergens too. Of course, make sure you don't use water so hot that it can damage your clothing.
- When you're washing your clothes with a mold killing solution it's best to wash them through at least two full cycles.
- Then after your clothes have been washed hang them on the line in the sun. The heat from the sun and the sun's ultraviolet light help to kill mold. The sun has a natural bleaching effect that can also help to fade mold stains.
- Washing clothes in a solution of all-fabric bleach and water can kill mold. Bleach can also fade away stains left on clothes by mold.
If you or someone you know has been affected by flood damage and need help with your home, call SERVPRO now!
What you need to know about mold in Peoria
Mold can grow quickly!
After the rivers have crested and once the flood waters have started to recede ... now the mold will start to grow!
The storm is over and gone, the rains and winds have subsided and the flooding rivers and waterways have stopped rising but just when you thought you finally had everything under control and you could start to go back to normal everyday life ... you find mold!
Mold can start to grow quickly in Peoria, as a matter of fact in as little as just 48 hours in dark wet areas in and around your homes and office structures.
Mold can grow at a rapid pace and could possibly get out of hand very quickly.
When you have had significant water damage like people often do after major flooding especially like the people in the Carolinas have had after the devastating effects of Hurricane Florence and the flood that took place in the rivers afterward the last thing you want to worry about is mold.
Let the trained professionals of SERVPRO help you in this time of need!
When Should I Buy Flood Insurance In Peoria
Buy it before you need it!
When should I buy flood insurance in Peoria? ... NOW!
That answer of now of course totally depends on if you live in a flood zone or not. If you do, you absolutely should already have a flood insurance policy in place. If you do not live in a flood zone but live in low lying areas or in close proximity to rivers or lakes that could flood, well then you too should look into a flood insurance policy.
The thing about a flood insurance policy and why it is so important to have one in place is because they normally take about 30 days to activate so if you are trying to buy one when a hurricane is announced to be heading your way chances are that policy will not be in effect in time to help you should that hurricane cause you flood damage because most hurricanes only give you a week or two notice.
So in short talk to an insurance agent ASAP if you even think you might need flood insurance.
If you have sustained flood damage, call SERVPRO we can help!
What to do if your Peoria home floods?
Be prepared because flooding happens fast!
For some on the west and east coasts, the hurricanes and tropical storms are just the beginning.
If you live in an area that is prone to flooding then you know that a major thunderstorm, tropical storm and or a hurricane can mean only the beginning of a long wet process.
We do not get much damage from those super storms this far inland but we do have catastrophic rain and flooding from our rivers from time to time.
All along the state of Illinois people live in waterfront areas whether it is the lakefront beach or one of the major rivers we have flowing through our beautiful midland area.
When there is a significant rainfall like ones experienced during Hurricane Florence your home may be at risk of major flooding from quick rising rivers and the grounds inability to drain the water fast enough.
If water damage does happen to you, know that SERVPRO is here to help as soon as it is safe to do so. We have been helping families put their lives back together after major storms for years now here in the Peoria area and we are not stopping now.
Educate yourself about the possible and projected flood areas to see if you are in harm's way!
We are here to help once the water recedes!
Sewage Backup Cleanup In Peoria
Sewage stinks, let SERVPRO handle it for you!
Sewage backups and black water intrusions are more than nasty, stinky deposits!
These damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. SERVPRO Professionals will remove the sewage, contaminants, and moisture, disinfecting as they clean. SERVPRO Professionals help ensure the structure is properly cleaned, disinfected and deodorized.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
Please do not attempt to clean up sewage backups or harmful black water yourself, call in the professionals at SERVPRO!
The safest plan of action is to just let the qualified professionals at SERVPRO handle the clean up for you. Call us 24/7 if you need help (309) 637-7300.
What you need to know about LEAD PAINT in Peoria
Be careful when it comes to lead!
Does your home contain lead paint?
Older homes, older child care facilities, schools, and other buildings are more likely to contain lead-based paint. Homes may be private, government-assisted or public housing. Schools are preschools and kindergarten classrooms. They may be urban, suburban or rural.
Here are some quick facts about LEAD PAINT.
Lead-based paint was used in more than 38 million homes until it was banned for residential use in 1978.
Lead can affect children’s brains and developing nervous systems, causing reduced IQ, learning disabilities and behavioral problems.
Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
Lead is also harmful to adults and the elderly.
Lead in dust is the most common way people are exposed to lead. People can also get lead in their bodies from lead in soil or paint chips. Lead dust is often invisible.
Projects that disturb lead-based paint can create dust and endanger you and your family.
In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
We here at SERVPRO know how to keep you and your loved ones safe during the Lead Paint Removal Process, call us now at (309) 637-7300.
Vandalism Cleanup in Peoria
Vandalism is bad, SERVPRO can help!
SERVPRO is recognized as a leader at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage.
SERVPRO of Peoria also provides general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, eggings, spoiled and rotten foods, and human or animal waste.
Here are a few Vandalism Damage Tips:
- Hose off or wash egg or other residue damage from the building exterior as quickly as possible.
- Carefully vacuum glass particles from carpets and upholstery.
- Save containers revealing the ingredients of products used in vandalism damage.
- Record all damage and photograph when possible.
- Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains.
- Operate damaged lamps or appliances.
- Discard broken or damaged pieces from porcelain, furniture or other contents that may be used for repair.
For a few more tips and services we provide click here.
If you have experienced vandalism and need it cleaned as soon as possible, call SERVPRO at (309) 637-7300.
We'll make it look "Like it never even happened.®"
Foreclosed Home Cleanup in Peoria
Foreclosures can be nasty inside, call SERVPRO to clean!
You have bought that foreclosed home in Peoria only to discover there is mold, rot, and trash everywhere inside ... who do you call to help you clean up all that filth?
SERVPRO that is who you call! Not only are we experts at cleaning and eliminating mold and trash, we have experience helping out even the most seasoned of real estate home or building flippers.
We can help with a bunch of different tasks ranging from a simple patch and mud job to total construction of an unsafe dwelling.
Let SERVPRO (the company that has been helping investors and teams all along the Peoria area for years) give you the peace of mind that your investment in a foreclosed unit will be looking great and be structurally sound in no time!
Call SERVPRO the next time you buy that foreclosed property!
Why Do I Have Mold In My Peoria Home?
SERVPRO can find the excess moisture and stop mold!
You do not know you have mold unless it is too late!
Your best bet for not finding mold in your Peoria home is to make sure you do not have excess water or moisture issues in your home.
If left untreated a water leak or excess moisture situation can turn into mold growth in as little as 48 hours. Especially here in the Illinois summers when conditions are almost always warm and humid, mold loves that environment!
If you suspect you have water leakage or excess moisture issues in your home call SERVPRO today. We have the tools, training, and manpower to restore your home back to its wonderful self again.
If you see or smell mold then you should definitely call SERVPRO right away, we are experts in riding your home of that pesky problem!
We can do it all, call us today! (309) 637-7300
Peoria Area Systems and Appliances Checklist
Do you know when to change your water heater?
System and appliance maintenance in Peoria can get very expensive, especially if you are not ready for it!
It would be amazing if once you bought a major appliance or system that would be the extent of the issue and they would last forever. We all know that is not the case. Just like the systems and appliances in your home have shelf lives so do the systems and appliances in your office building.
We found this amazing interactive infographic that will help guide you as to when you will need to start thinking about upgrading your items.
Use this interactive infographic to see when common house systems like your heating, cooling, plumbing or electrical wear out, or how long your appliances like your oven, dishwasher, washer, and dryer have before they need to be replaced. They’ve also included the average cost to replace each item.
Click Here For The Infographic.
Then call us to help you with the workload! (309) 637-7300
Who is going board up my Peoria home?
We board up homes after a fire.
After the fire is out and the firefighters are gone who is left to help you?
Your home will be left wide open to show the entire world what is inside after the firefighters put out the fire. You will be at your most vulnerable stage in life, feeling empty and helpless but you still need to protect your home and your possessions.
SERVPRO understands this and will board your Peoria home's entrances and exits as well as your windows up for you safely, securely and professionally. Is this really the time you want to trust just any guy with a truck to board up your home with any personal items still left inside?
Let the professional fire damage restoration technicians at SERVPRO take your fears away, put your mind at ease and make you start to feel safe again.
Call us today (309) 637-7300.
Crawl Space Water Damage In Peoria
Don't be scared of your crawl space!
Crawl spaces are notorious for water damage, especially here in Illinois!
If your Peoria home has a crawl space and a pipe bursts underneath or starts leaking uncontrollably you may not even know until it is too late!
Think about it, how often do you open up one of those little side doors and brush away the cobwebs and then go exploring under your home? If you are like us then the answer is probably never!
So how are you going to know if you have water damage in your crawl space ... you call the fearless technicians at SERVPRO that is how!
Our fearless experts can navigate even the scariest of crawl spaces and report back to you what is going on under your home as well a plan to fix it if need be.
When you are just not interested in crawling under your home, call SERVPRO we will do it for you!
Algae or Mold In Peoria
Is that algae or mold?
Another hot Illinois summer is here and in full swing!
That means pools and swimming. Your pool might at times look like it has mold around the outside or rim. It is most likely algae and not mold.
Algae can grow when the chlorine levels drop in your pool and then the sun is strong. It can turn a perfectly clear pool and make it greener than a granny smith apple in what seems like overnight.
If the algae are inside your pool call a pool technician to service your water if the algae are outside your pool, give it a few sprays with a bleach /water combo and if it doesn't go away in a day or two you might have mold.
If it turns out to be mold call SERVPRO today!
To be 100% sure call the experts at SERVPRO of Peoria at (309) 637-7300
for any pool mold concerns today!
Who Cleans Ducts In Peoria
Clean those ducts!
SERVPRO has been cleaning ducts in your area for years!
One of the most necessary times to get your ducts cleaned is after a rodent infestation.
Often times mice and or rats can make their way into your home through a small crack somewhere and then set up shop in your HVAC pipes.
When you have a professional exterminator eradicate the rodent issue you still want to go the extra step and have your HVAC system cleaned well! The rodent usually urinates often and that mixed with their droppings can cause health issues in some people due to it getting airborne in your system.
SERVPRO has the equipment and manpower to clean your air ducts quickly and professionally.
Even if you have not had a rodent issue it is still a good idea to do a yearly cleaning just to be on the safe side, so call to schedule yours today!
Preparation For Your Business In Peoria
Put a plan in place.
How quickly your company can get back to business after a tornado, fire or flood often depends on the emergency planning done today.
The regular occurrence of natural disasters demonstrates the importance of being prepared for any emergency. While each situation is unique, your organization can be better prepared if you plan carefully, put emergency procedures in place, and practice for all kinds of emergencies.
The following situations are common sense measures business owners and managers can take to start getting ready. A commitment to begin planning today will help support your employees, customers, the community, the local economy, and even the country. It also protects your business investment and gives your company a better chance for survival.
Review the following questions to learn if your company is prepared for disaster.
Do you know what kind of emergencies might affect your company? Do you know what you will do in an emergency situation?
Develop a Business Continuity Plan.
Do you know which staff, procedures, and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep operating? Do you have backup plans for those operations?
Prepare your Emergency Plan.
Do you have an evacuation and shelter-in-place plan? Do you have a plan to communicate with employees before, during and after an incident?
Practice the Emergency Plan.
Have you practiced your plan recently?
Review Insurance Coverage.
Have you reviewed your insurance coverage recently to see if you're covered in a disaster?
Secure Your Facility and Equipment.
Have you secured all the ways people, products, and supplies get into your building?
Promote Family and Individual Preparedness.
Do you encourage employees to have a personal
emergency supply kit and a family communication plan?
If you answered "No" to any of these questions, visit ready.gov or call SERVPRO and learn how to better prepare your business.
Storm Damage Mitigation In Peoria
Call SERVPRO If Storm Damage Happens To You!
When outside objects go airborne, they can become deadly!
Trampolines, swingsets, planters, and or yard objects can become deadly projectiles during a storm. If an object crashes into your house there can be significant damage.
Storm damage can be the result of many different events but one of the most frequent storm damage events is wind picking things up and destroying personal property in its path.
This was the case for one of SERVPRO's customers that reported storm damage due to objects from their yard came crashing in through the roof of their home, their bedroom to be exact!
SERVPRO came in and accessed the situation, removed the pieces from the roof, boarded up the damage temporarily and made all the rest of the storm damage disappear!
If you have had storm damage to your home call SERVPRO right away!
Cabinet Install and Restore In Peoria
SERVPRO has been hanging cabinets for years!
Your cabinets can make or break the look of that awesome kitchen you have!
Actually, the cabinets can make an old kitchen look new or completely change the look, feel and flow of your entire space!
When it comes to your cabinets few do it yourselfers get it one hundred percent right. There is the measuring, the planning, the shopping, the pickup or delivery, the inspection, the mounting, the leveling and then the actual enjoying.
If there was any part of that process that just does not seem worth it ... you should call SERVPRO.
SERVPRO has been dealing with cabinets for years. We handle all of the above-mentioned tasks almost on a daily basis when restoring or remodeling a kitchen after a disaster. So why not call us to help with your cabinets even if your house did not burn down?
We have the tools, manpower and know how to handle your Peoria cabinet job right the first time!
Exterior Pressure Wash In Peoria
Get that fresh summer look!
Some tips on how to use a pressure washer this summer to blast away that year worth of dirt:
- Choose a pressure washer that is best for the job. Different housing materials can withstand various water pressures.
- Protect your house's exterior fixtures, like lights, landscaping shrubs, and plants, from harmful water pressure. Cover with drop cloths or plastic covering.
- Manually scrub any visible dirt and grime from the surface you are power washing with a brush.
- Mix the cleaning solution and fill the pressure washer's soap dispenser.
- Connect a hose hooked to your water supply to the pressure washer.
- Test how close you have to be to pressure wash a house by holding the pressure washer nozzle with both hands about 3 feet from the wall. Walk it in closer until you feel the spray is strong enough to remove dirt but not cause any damage.
- Start at the top of the house and move down just like when you paint.
- Rinse from the top down with plain water. Allow the house to dry at least 2 days before painting.
If this sounds like too much work just call SERVPRO, we will do it for you.
Biohazard and Crime Scene Cleanup In Peoria
We clean what you shouldn't!
Biohazard, Vandalism, and Crime Scene Cleanup and Restoration Services
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies nationwide, SERVPRO offers fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
Your local SERVPRO Professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO Professionals help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
SERVPRO can help with the following:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- And much more ...
If you need help cleaning up any of the above-mentioned items give us a call!
Rebuilding Roof Damage In Peoria
SERVPRO has you covered!
You might ask yourself, who handles roof damage in Peoria, Illinois? The answer is ... SERVPRO of Peoria does.
Although we are not a roofing company many of our jobs and clients involve fixing a storm-damaged roof. We are capable of rebuilding your damaged unit from the ground up and the roof is part of that procedure.
SERVPRO is capable of handling a larger sized commercial project if need be. On a previous roofing job, our workers repaired the roof quickly and carefully because the weather is unpredictable so we needed to get those tarps off and an actual structure on to make sure there is not more damage inflicted on the building.
So if your business or home needs roof repair along with other damaged areas ... Call SERVPRO NOW! We will help get you covered again!
Carpentry In Peoria
Let us build you back up!
When you think of SERVPRO you probably think of outstanding fire, water, and mold restoration and you would be right ... but did you know we can construct houses too?
SERVPRO rebuilt a house from the ground up not too long ago when a client's home burned down to the ground from an oxygen tank explosion!
SERVPRO handled the process from start to finish and the owner was amazed at the carpentry skills that SERVPRO displayed on this home!
SERVPRO can provide this service for you too by supervising a full range of restoration services that will bring a building back to full functionality.
- Board Up
- Carpet Repair and Installation
- Drywall Installation
- Drywall Removal
- General Contracting
- Hardwood Floor Repair
- Linoleum Floor Repair
- Move Out
- Portable Power
- Roof Tarp
- Roofing Services
- Scalable Resources
- Temporary Fencing
- Temporary Warehouse Space
- Tile Floor Repair
Call us today if you need award-winning service on your home!
Summer Safety Tips In Peoria
Keep Summer Safe!
Peoria Summers are filled with barbecues, parades and fireworks displays; but along with all the festivities are plenty of visits to emergency rooms.
Consider the following tips to ensure your summer celebrations are disaster-free!
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing of in a metal container.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
If a tragedy does strike your home in the form of fire damage, call SERVPRO right away (309) 637-7300!
Carpet Cleaning In Peoria
Clean Carpet Makes A Great First Impression!
Even before your sales team greets a customer, they are greeted by the appearance of your business.
Make no mistake about it; first impressions are an important part of the sales process. When the first impression is that of a clean and organized business, it puts your customer at ease, and it makes it easier for them to say yes to your Peoria business!
That’s why regular commercial carpet cleaning is so important. Maintaining your office carpet in pristine condition lets your customers and sales team know that you’ve taken care of all the details, down to the carpet.
A clean carpet is also hygienic. Accumulation of dirt and grime along with pollen and animal dander that is tracked in by foot traffic can make for an unpleasant and allergenic work environment.
Regular carpeting cleaning is also an opportunity for spot-checking for damaged and worn areas in the carpeting, potentially avoiding accidents.
Businesses should aim for focused carpet cleaning about once every quarter for high traffic areas in addition to the twice-yearly deep cleaning of the entire covered area.
Call SERVPRO to schedule your home or business carpet cleaning today!
Painting Your Peoria Home After A Storm
Painting In Peoria
Sometimes the last thing you want to do after a storm repair is paint!
Storm season is upon us and sometimes we luck out and have minimal damage that involves only a few patch jobs to a wall or the exterior side of the house.
After you finish repairing the damage you really do not feel like painting it too, it can be a real hassle if you do not have the right equipment.
Lucky for you SERVPRO has the manpower and resources to do all sorts of different sized jobs from one bedroom apartments to a 100 plus unit condo tower and everything in between.
So the next time you just do not feel like painting that front wall for the third time or slapping on another coat to the second floor bedrooms because a tree came through the wall, give SERVPRO a call!
Summer Office Declutter Tips In Peoria
Declutter for productivity!
Declutter That Office Now!
Here are a few tips and tricks to help declutter your office.
Divide Your Workplace Into Zones: Determine how you want and need to use the space and set up zones for your daily functions.
Keep Only What You Need At Arm's Length: Boxes of pens, stacks of papers and old coffee cups need to go. Rid your desk of visual clutter by paring down the items on top to the essentials only.
Create A Daily Paper System: Consider creating hanging files or baskets labeled "To Read", "To Do", and "To File".
Sort Your Catch-All Drawer: Use drawer dividers to give everything a place, like compartments for paperclips and rubber bands.
Eliminate Digital Clutter: Digital clutter can be just as stressful as physical clutter. Organize digital files and your e-mail inbox just as you would paper files - with a system of logical and clearly labeled folders.
Disinfect Regularly: Prevent the buildup of dust, dirt, food stains and fingerprints. Wipe down your desk, phone, keyboard, and monitor once a week with disinfecting wipes.
A clean office leads to more productivity, call us if you need some heavy hitting!
Hurricane Names For The Atlantic Season
Now you know!
Since a few weeks, ago was all about Hurricane Preparedness, we felt you should have a little more info about this year's Hurricane Season!
We know that hurricanes don't ever really get this far inland but it is always good to stay on top of natural disaster information whenever you can.
The National Hurricane Center generates lists of names, in alphabetical order, to be used for tropical storms and hurricanes.
As storms form, they are named in order of which they arrive. Thus the first tropical storm or hurricane of the year has a name that begins with "A" and the second is given the name that begins with "B." The lists contain hurricane names that begin from A to W, but exclude names that begin with a "Q" or "U."
There are six lists, so a name can recur once every six years so these names can not be used again until 2024. When a hurricane is especially memorable or devastating, that name is retired and another hurricane name replaces it.
Here are the names for the Atlantic Hurricane Season of 2018:
Alberto, Beryl, Chris, Debby, Ernesto, Florence, Gordon, Helene, Isaac, Joyce, Kirk, Leslie, Michael, Nadine, Oscar, Patty, Rafael, Sara, Tony, Valerie, and William.
If you sustain storm damage due to hurricanes or any other type of storm, call SERVPRO right away!
Flooring Services In Peoria
SERVPRO knows flooring!
Flooring is the foundation of a great home ... literally!
Flooring can be anything from carpet, wood, and concrete to other kinds of building materials but they are all subject to damage from water, fire and or mold.
When your flooring becomes damaged beyond repair you can try to fix it yourself and some people have a small level of success but you have to ask yourself do I know enough about the science of drying to make sure the flooring I'm putting down is going on a completely dry surface that will not become mold infested because I'm trapping moisture underneath and then have to completely redo the whole process again?
If you do know about moisture control and the science of drying, by all means, do that labor intensive time investing and all around not fun project yourself. If you do not think you can pull it off, call SERVPRO.
SERVPRO has the know-how and equipment to have your flooring project done right and fast!
Restoration Services In Peoria
Let SERVPRO Restore Your Building!
No Job Is Too Large For SERVPRO of Peoria!
There's never a good time for fire or water damage to strike your building or business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and or time spent doing business operational duties. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we'll be there quickly with the help you need and the name you trust.
The SERVPRO Commercial Large Loss Division is made up of our best of the best in restoration.
Our industry-leading large-loss specialists are pre-qualified and strategically positioned throughout the country to handle any size disaster. Every large loss is over seen by a commercial operations manager to help ensure seamless communication and timely mitigation.
If your business suffers a major loss, call (309) 637-7300.
Air Ducts and Spring HVAC Cleaning in Peoria
Get Inspected Today By SERVPRO!
Pollen, dust, mold, and dirt can wreak havoc on your HVAC!
Inspecting the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC) is a service offered by SERVPRO.
Keeping your HVAC system and ductwork clean can extend the lifespan of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may save you money.
SERVPRO uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to remove years of dust, pollen, and grime.
SERVPRO will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to combat any indoor air quality concerns. The inspection can save you a ton of money in the long run and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system, ductwork and you.
The SERVPRO system is the difference - we can help:
- Remediate bacteria, fungi, and mold
- Reduce potential for mold growth
- Restore peak energy efficiency
- Eliminate offensive odors
Call us today to schedule your Spring HVAC inspection: (309) 637-7300
Cleaning And Repair For Educational Buildings In Peoria
Don't Let Those Dirty Classrooms Get A Failing Grade!
Now that the students have graduated, who is going to deep clean and repair your school?
Disasters at an educational building are highly complex and require a knowledgeable and flexible response.
Whether we’re dealing with a small school campus or an institute of higher education, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area so that normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Our professional team of technicians is trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area.
Our experience in handling educational facilities cleanups has given us the ability to provide a variety of detailed services for the following educational facilities: K-12 Schools, Colleges & Universities, Dormitories, Private Schools, Libraries, Daycares / Pre-K Facilities
From county school systems to large accredited colleges and universities, SERVPRO works to make your education facility disaster “Like it never even happened.”
This Week Is Hurricane Preparedness Week In Peoria
Hurricanes Can Be Deadly!
Hurricane Preparedness Week
Even though we rarely have to worry about Hurricanes, many of our resident's vacation in areas where there are significant threats.
From the desk of the Community Risk Reduction Officer for our local Fire Dept:
During Hurricane Preparedness Week, make sure you have a hurricane evacuation plan.
The first thing you need to do is find out if you live in a storm surge hurricane evacuation zone or if you're in a home that would be unsafe during a hurricane.
If you are, figure out where you'd go and how you'd get there if told to evacuate. You do not need to travel hundreds of miles. Identify someone, perhaps a friend or relative who doesn't live an evacuation zone or unsafe home, and coordinate with them to use their home as your evacuation destination.
Be sure to account for your pets, as most local shelters do not permit them.
Find evacuation zones here: http://flash.org/hurricane-season/evacuation-zones/find-your-evacuation-zones.pdf.
And as always SERVPRO is here for you when the storm is over to help put your life back together!
The Best Cinco De Mayo Party Cleaners In Peoria
Parties In Peoria Can Get Messy
When you throw a Cinco De Mayo celebration you and your friends really know how to go over the top!
But when the party is over and the mariachi band leaves, the beer, and margaritas are all gone ... who is going to clean that messy carpet?
Fortunately for you, SERVPRO does not take holidays off so if your carpet has 7 layer bean dip ground into it from all that dancing and irresponsible eating give us a call.
If the donkey pinata was full of candy and now your rugs are full of chocolate stains, give us a call!
SERVPRO has been cleaning up after messy partygoers for years. We have the knowledge and equipment to get in and out faster than you can say ARIBA!
Call us today to schedule your carpet cleaning: (309) 637-7300
Fire Clean Up In Peoria
During A Fire, Stay Low For As Long As You Can!
Get low and crawl under the smoke to get out safely!
We asked the local Fire Department for some fire safety tips and ways to prevent extra harm from fires. The tip about getting low and crawling out of a home or building seems a little bit drastic or unnecessary until you start breathing in the smoke.
So many of the victims that deadly fires have consumed have passed out from breathing too much smoke, getting low gives someone a fighting chance to exit the building because smoke and heat rises.
So please if you are caught in a fire and you can make your way out, make sure you stay low and yes even crawl. It could be the difference between your life and your death.
You get out, we'll clean up!
If you have had fire damage in the Peoria area that needs to be cleaned up call SERVPRO to help put your life back together.
How Do You Get A Smoke Smell Out of Your Peoria Home
When the smoke smell is bad you better just call SERVPRO!
It happens to the best of us right. In the kitchen cooking your favorite dish, someone knocks on the door or the phone rings so you go answer it. You walk back in the room and your stove is on fire! Smoke rolls through the house, the alarm is blaring but luckily you're a quick thinker. You reach for the fire extinguisher and put it out before there is too much damage.
This week on our SERVPRO blog feed I am going to provide you with some quick tips on how to get the smell of smoke out of your house.
Things You'll Need
· Baking Soda
· Vinegar and Water Solution
· Heavy duty washing detergent
1. Throw open the windows and even a door or two as quickly as possible after the fire.
2. Launder your drapes and table linens as soon as possible; they will absorb the smoke odor rapidly.
3. Clean your cabinets, walls, and floors with a one-part vinegar, one part warm water solution.
4. Place bowls of baking soda around your kitchen, and even put a few in the cabinets, pantry, and any other room that has an odor.
If the house still reeks of smoke or if you don’t want to mess with it in the first place, just call us here at SERVPRO and we’ll get it right out.
Who Cleans Up After Storm Damage In Peoria
We are here to help after the storm!
Storms hit hard and fast!.
That is why your SERVPRO provides immediate relief and response to your storm damage needs. We can have a team of highly trained technicians on site as soon as it is safe to do so.
We can help with a bunch of different of projects which also includes getting you emergency food and shelter and contacting friends and family.
Storms do not wait for normal business hours that is why you need to call the professionals here at SERVPRO who are available to you 24 / 7 / 365, all you have to do is call us when the coast is clear!
We understand the process of putting your life back together when tragedy hits. Let us show you what so many other families have already experienced ... our willingness to make your world normal again!
Call Us Today (309) 637-7300
The Water Damage Repair Process In Peoria
Let SERVPRO Dry You Out!
Are you ready to fix and repair water damages all by yourself?
So if water damage, from the smallest overflow of a toilet to a whole house flood from a pipe burst, threatens your home or office call us.
SERVPRO is here to help and care for not only your home or office but for you as a person. We know first hand how lost and scared you can be when you suffer a major loss due to floods or other water damages.
We are a family owned business and part of a National Community thousands strong and know that each job is not simply a job, but is someone allowing us to come into their lives during a very stressful event because they need our help.
Our goal is to help make it a little less stressful for you. We want to return your home to you as quickly and safely as possible.
To make that happen, call us if you ever have a water damage, (309) 637-7300
Reducing Your Exposure to Mold In Peoria
Let SERVPRO Fix Your Mold Problem
Mold and mildew are common nuisances in our Peoria community.
However, you can greatly reduce the risk of infestation in your home or office. It’s worthwhile to consider because reducing exposure to mold in Peoria is important for both you and your home’s health and well-being.
Mold spores in the home environment have been known to cause adverse health effects. In addition, mold colonies can cause unsightly damage to your home, like staining of furniture and carpeting. On top of that, mold can weaken the walls and foundation of your home, leading to structural deterioration.
While completely eradicating mold spores in your home environment is not possible, you can lessen the chance of mold infestation in your home.
Reduce your exposure to mold by following these helpful tips from the remediation experts at your local SERVPRO:
1. Repair leaks quickly and thoroughly.
2. Use a dehumidifier when water is present.
3. Use cleansers that kill mold and mildew.
If you find that mold or mildew grows inside your home or office, it could be signs of a more serious problem.
Call SERVPRO today to schedule an inspection: (309) 637-7300
When Does The Mold Set In?
SERVPRO has the right tools to fix your mold problems fast!
Once the winds have subsided and the water recedes, the mold starts to set in!
We here at SERVPRO know all too well what comes after a huge flood like the ones that hit us every year ... MOLD!
When the storm is over and everyone is left picking up the pieces of their homes and their lives a potential health risk is lying in the shadows waiting to be overlooked.
Most people don't realize how quickly mold can set in after a significant flood or water damage. (Here's a hint it is only a few days.)
SERVPRO knows how to detect and treat mold in your house or business. We have the tools and knowledge to fight this quickly growing problem and help make your residence look "Like it never even happened."™
Call us today if you suspect you have a mold problem (309) 637-7300.
Earth Day In Peoria
Celebrate By Recycling
Earth Day is on April 22, 2018, this year!
Although the number one strategy to help the world is to practice environmental consciousness every day, a dedicated national observance day to honor the earth comes in a close second.
We here at SERVPRO are constantly cleaning up disasters and damages all over the planet so we would like to take this time to remind you to do something healthy and proactive for the survival of our precious world!
There are always activities in your area that need help and amazing opportunities to volunteer your time and resources.
If you can get out there and plant a tree or take some recycling to the recycle center or even make some sandwiches for the volunteers that are working hard for earth day.
Also, it is a great reminder that you should start to think about the spring cleaning and maintenance of your home so that you do not get stuck with faulty equipment.
If you need our help call us today at (309) 637-7300.
Lightning Damage In Peoria
Lightning Strikes Fast, So Does SERVPRO
We all know that lightning can actually cause major damage to your homes.
But who do you call when the storm subsides and the clouds roll out?
SERVPRO has been fixing storm-damaged homes in the Peoria area for quite some time. Our highly trained technicians are qualified to handle almost anything wicked storms can throw at them.
We have the experience, training, and equipment to handle a small flood all the way up to massive thunderstorm damage resulting in holes in your roof, water damaged floors and even fire damage caused by lightning.
Why trust the process of putting your home and sometimes your family back together to any old person with a truck and a few tools. SERVPRO is licensed and insured to give you the ultimate peace of mind that you are in good hands.
Call us today (309) 637-7300
Cleaning Up Water Damage In Peoria
Be Extremely Careful
Pipes Burst, Drywall Rots, and Mold Breaks In!
These are all facts you have to deal with when confronted with a water damage. Water can save your life in the desert but can be a real pain when it is gushing into your living room.
Once the source of the water damage is located and fixed you are not out of the woods yet. Actually, most consider this when the real work starts. You have to make sure the water is completely gone as soon as possible before mold sets in (which can be as quick as 48-72 hours).
SERVPRO specializes in water damage clean up in the Peoria area. We have the right equipment to handle any size job quickly and efficiently. Our trained and certified technicians are here to help you out 24/7/365 for when you might be in over your head!
Call SERVPRO today (309) 637-7300
Commercial Cleaning In Peoria
We Clean Commercially
You do not have the time to worry about the common wear and tear that eventually soils your office.
When grime, odor and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, call in your local SERVPRO Professional. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on SERVPRO of Peoria to make your workspace look it's very best.
SERVPRO will get the job done right and get it done quickly because the SERVPRO Advantage includes these benefits: Award-Winning Training, Nearly 50 Years of Experience and Exclusive Cleaning Products.
Specialty Cleaning Services
We have the specialized training, products, and equipment to get your property back to business.
Our cleaning services include the following:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Biohazard, Carpet, and Upholstery
- Ceilings, Floors, and Walls, Drapes, and Blinds
- Odor Removal
- Trauma and Crime Scene and Vandalism.
HELPING TO MAKE FIRE AND WATER DAMAGE “Like it never even happened.”
Call us Today: (309) 637-7300
Commercial Cleaning For Peoria Healthcare Facilities
Cleaning Hospitals Is Serious Business
Here at SERVPRO of Peoria, our professionals are trained in adhering to the highest sanitation standards.
We understand that time is crucial for both your operations and your patients. Our technicians know how to handle regulated medical waste and undergo special training to work in operating rooms and other restricted areas, always adhering to HIPPA regulations.
SERVPRO also coordinates with environmental and infection control teams to monitor progress and make sure that all necessary health certifications are obtained prior to completing any job. Our number one priority is to quickly and safely take full responsibility of your cleanup needs so that you are free to focus on your number one priority: your patients.
Our experience in the healthcare industry has given us the ability to provide a variety of detailed services for the following healthcare facilities: Hospitals, Assisted Living Centers, Outpatient Surgical Centers, Electronics and Machine Restoration, Hospice Facilities, Senior Living Facilities, Medical Office Buildings, Document Drying and Restoration
From hospitals and large medical complexes to clinics and trauma centers, SERVPRO of Peoria works to make your healthcare facility disaster “Like it never even happened.”
Call SERVPRO now for help today: (309) 637-7300
Commercial Cleaning For Peoria Fast Food Facilities
Good Service Fast, That's SERVPRO!
Here at SERVPRO of Peoria, our first priority is getting your business, kitchen, and dining room back in operation as quickly as possible.
When disaster or mold strikes your fast food restaurant, you need the expertise of a specialized team who is experienced in food service cleanup.
At SERVPRO®, our expert teams are trained in health codes, regulations and the use of food safe products. They understand the importance of getting your dining room, kitchen or production operational as quickly as possible.
We’ll work to ensure all surfaces are restored and sanitized to health and food safety specifications and you are able to get back to business and your patrons can get back to the food.
Our experience in the food services industry has given us the ability to provide a variety of detailed services for the following facility types: Food Manufacturing Facilities, Food Distribution Centers, Fast Food Restaurants, Fine Dining Restaurants, Senior Living Facility Kitchens, Educational Cafeterias.
From restaurants and cafeterias to national distribution centers, SERVPRO® of Peoria works to make your food service facility disaster “Like it never even happened.”
Call SERVPRO Today to get started now: (309) 637-7300
Storm Damage Aftermath in Peoria
Don't be scared of Storm Damage!
Thunderstorms, tornadoes, and flash flooding are common with severe weather conditions in the Peoria area.
Because of this, you’ll find many storm damage restoration companies servicing Illinois. And with so many choices, it can be confusing to know which is the best at handling emergency residential restoration services.
Beyond looking at costs, it’s important also to consider how trustworthy a company is and what track record they have. Use this helpful guide below to help you accurately compare storm damage restoration business in Peoria:
- Experienced In Emergency Storm Damage Cleanup and Restoration. It’s important to ask if the company is well equipped and experienced with storm damage and not just water damage. Storm damage could mean layers of mud in the living room, a tree through your roof, sewage in the basement, and so much more than the usual water damage. SERVPRO is familiar and experienced in dealing with aspects of flood damage restoration --especially the unexpected kind.
- Enthusiastic Customers. Some residential flood damage restoration businesses may be satisfied with “happy customers”, but we aim to have enthusiastic customers. With the fastest response time, SERVPRO addresses your concerns quickly and thoroughly. We work alongside you and your insurance company, taking care of every aspect of your storm damage concerns, saving you time, money, and worry. The result is a home that looks as if water damage never occurred and enthusiastic customers that are proud to recommend us to their friends.
- Community and Better Business Bureau Affiliation. Businesses that make an effort to be a part of their community often take bigger strides in servicing their neighbors. SERVPRO of Peoria is a member of several professional leagues and organizations in Peoria as well as part of the prestigious BBB. If you're unsure if a home restoration company is IICRC certified or part of the BBB, visit their respected websites and search the listings.
Call on SERVPRO for the fastest and most complete flood damage restoration for both residential and commercial. For a 24-hour emergency response to storm damage call (309) 637-7300
Burn Awareness Month Is February
Practice Burn Awareness!
We thought it was a good time to share some tips that could keep you and your family safe from getting burned.
Scalds are one of the leading causes of burns in children under the age of 9 in the United States.
- To prevent your children from being scalded by hot water make sure that you are checking the temperature of their bath water before placing them in the bathtub.
- To ensure that your water won't be too hot adjust your Hot Water Heater to no more than 120 degrees F so that the chance of having water hot enough to scald someone is drastically reduced.
- When cooking, make sure you turn your pot handles in over the counters so that they don't get knocked over by you or your kids by accident.
If you do get burned the best thing you can do first is to place the burned area under cool (not cold) water for a few minutes to lessen the severity of the burn.
If any scalds are from the result of a fire and the damage is too much for you to clean yourself, call SERVPRO (309) 637-7300
Is This Black Mold In My Peoria Home
Is This Black Mold In My Peoria Home
Do you know what the signs of Black Mold are in your Peoria home?
Usually, you can smell mold before you will ever see it. Mold can be extremely harmful to you.
If you experience sudden health-related problems, you might have a black mold problem.
We suggest you call a black mold specialist at SERVPRO to come inspect your home or office and let the franchise professional decide if there is indeed a mold problem or not. SERVPRO has professional grade equipment to handle black mold so your mind can rest easy.
After the inspection and mitigation of the mold make sure you have the SERVPRO specialist come back out and follow up on the fact that the mold has been removed.
If you need a qualified company to remove the mold call SERVPRO at (309) 637-7300
Peoria Mold Damage Tips
Do Not Touch The Mold.
What should you do until help arrives:
In as little as 48 hours, mold can become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or some other kind of leak. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- The mold may present a greater risk to children, and the elderly.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO Franchise Professional for mold remediation services.
What NOT to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Have a Mold Problem? Call Today (309) 637-7300
Graffiti and Vandalism Clean Up
Don't let graffiti get ruin your building, SERVPRO can clean it for you.
SERVPRO is recognized as leaders in helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage.
SERVPRO of Peoria also provides general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods and human or animal waste.
Here are a few Vandalism Do's and Don'ts:
- Hose or wash egg or other residue damage from the building exterior as soon as possible.
- Carefully vacuum glass particles from carpets and upholstery.
- Save containers revealing the ingredients of products used in vandalism or other damage.
- Record and photograph when possible.
- Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains.
- Operate damaged appliances.
- Discard broken or damaged pieces of porcelain, furniture or other contents that may be used for repair.
For a few more tips and services we provide click here.
If you have experienced vandalism and need it cleaned as soon as possible, call SERVPRO at (309) 637-7300.
We'll make it look "Like it never even happened.®"
Being Prepared In Peoria
Are you ready?
In recent years, many different types of disasters have affected the United States.
Flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, and blizzards are natural disasters that can threaten your home, business, and community.
Now is the time to think about the basics, things you will need in advance of an emergency; how you will communicate, what supplies you will need to keep in your home, car or office.
Build an emergency supply kit to ensure your family is equipped and ready for any type of disaster. The more you know about what to do in an emergency, the more confident and secure you will feel in your abilities to manage through a disaster.
Preparing is the key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
No one ever plans for a disaster, but now, you can plan for it. Contact your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals for more information and tools to help you be "Ready for whatever happens."
Be Safe While Keeping Warm This Winter
Be safe and Keep Warm
50% of all residential heating-related fires are reported during the months of December, January & February
Here are 7 quick tips to keep safe while you keep warm this winter:
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater. Have a three foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
If you do have a fire damage this winter call SERVPRO of Peoria right away! (309) 637-7300
Contaminated Water Damage In Peoria
Get Safe The Call SERVPRO!
DO YOU HAVE WATER DAMAGE FROM CONTAMINATED WATER IN YOUR PEORIA HOME?
Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
If you have experienced a water damage and you do not know if the water could be contaminated or not it is always better to err on the side of caution.
Treat the water as if it were contaminated to make sure you are maximizing your efforts to keep you and everyone around you safer.
Then call the experts at SERVPRO of Peoria | (309) 637-7300.
We do it right the first time!
SERVPRO of Peoria provides professional board up service to both commercial and residential properties.
The damaged property must be boarded up correctly to prevent secondary damage from weather, moisture, intrusions possibly making a bad situation even worse.
More often than not people see homes that have had a recent damage that makes them temporarily unlivable as a sign of opportunity to either loot the home or live in it illegally before it can be restored or repaired. This is why you need a professional company like SERVPRO of Peoria to go in and secure your most valuable asset in the event of a damage that forces you out for a while.
Eliminate the dangers and burden of doing a "self" board up by calling us today.
What is worse than a major home maintenance disaster? Try several major home maintenance disasters… at once. When a house’s water pipes freeze, the situation is not as simple as calling a plumber, an 1/8-inch crack in a pipe can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flooding, serious structural damage, and the immediate potential for mold.
Frozen water pipes are a problem in both cold and warmer climates, affecting quarter-million families each winter, and it can happen in homes with both plastic and copper pipes. It’s all too common; especially considering this damage is largely preventable.
In addition to taking the usual preventive precautions, here are a few steps you can take to keep your pipes from turning frigid nights into inconvenient and expensive ordeals.
When Extreme Temperatures Happen
Even if you’ve taken the right preventative steps, extreme weather conditions can still harm your pipes. Here are a few more steps you can take:
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing. Let warm water drip overnight, preferably from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Keep your thermostat set at the same temperature during both day and night. You might be in the habit of turning down the heat when you’re asleep, but further drops in the temperature, more common overnight, could catch you off guard and freeze your pipes.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Before you skip town
Travelling in the winter months might be good for the soul, but don’t forget to think about your pipes before you leave. Here are a few things you can do:
- Set the thermostat in your house no lower than 55°F (12°C)
- Ask a friend to check on your house daily to make sure it’s warm enough to prevent freezing.
- Shut off and drain the water system (winterize).
If your pipes do freeze
What if your pipes still freeze, despite your best preventive measures? First step: Don’t panic. Just because they are frozen doesn’t mean they’ve already burst. Here’s what you can do:
- If you turn on your faucet and nothing comes out, leave the faucets turned on and call a plumber.
- Do not use electrical appliances in areas of standing water as this can cause electrocution.
- Never try to thaw a pipe with a torch or other open flame because it could cause a fire or serious injury.
- You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe with a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, warming toward the coldest section of pipe.
- If your water pipes have already burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve in the house; leave the water faucets turned on.
Tip:Make sure everyone in your family knows where the water shutoff valve is and how to open and close it.
Content Cleaning Solutions
We'll get it right the 1st time!
At SERVPRO of Peoria we are able to care for your content cleaning needs should disaster strike. 95% of contents from fluff and fold laundry to large furniture and appliances are cleaned on site at our facility. Your content can be stored in our secure warehouse during the restoration process.
THE ESPORTA WASH SYSTEM;
- Restores up to 85% of the soft contents that have been traditionally non-restorable!
- Eliminates expensive dry cleaning costs and damage
- Is 20% - 35% of the cost of replacement
THE ELECTRONIC CLEANING & SPARYING CABINET & DRYING CHAMBER is for desktop computers, laptops, tablets, monitors, DVD players, televisions, etc.
OZONE TREATMENT ROOM produces and oxidizing agent that creates the same sweet smelling air associated with a rain storm for clothing, upholstered furniture, carpets, draperies, and toys damaged by smoke and soot or any unwanted odors.
ULTRASONIC CLEANERS are used to clean many different types of objects, including cutlery, glassware, flatware, jewelry, lenses and other optical parts, watches, tools, coins, instruments, industrial parts and many other items damaged by disaster.
12 Tips for Holiday Home Safety
12 Tips for Holiday Home Safety
As you're sprucing up your home this season, keep an eye out for these common holiday trip-ups, fire hazards, and other safety snafus.
1. Merry and Bright: Carefully inspect holiday light strings each year and discard any with frayed cords, cracked lamp holders, or loose connections. When replacing bulbs, unplug the light string and be sure to match voltage and wattage to the original bulb.
2. Lights Out: Always turn off holiday lights when you leave the house unattended or when going to bed.
3. Fresh Is Best: Try to purchase a freshly cut tree, as they are more resistant to ignition. Keep your Christmas tree watered and away from open candles.
4. Timing Is Everything: Use an outdoor timer certified by CSA International to switch lights on and off. Lights should be turned on after 7 p.m. to avoid the electricity rush hour.
5. Check for the Certification Mark: When purchasing light strings, extension cords, spotlights, electrical decorations, gas appliances, or carbon monoxide alarms, look for the certification mark of an accredited certification organization such as CSA International, UL, or ELT to ensure that the products comply with applicable standards for safety and performance.
6. One and Done: Never connect more than one extension cord together; instead use a single cord that is long enough to reach the outlet without stretching, but not so long that it can get easily tangled.
7. The Great Outdoors: When hanging outdoor lights, keep electrical connectors off the ground and away from metal rain gutters. Use insulated tape or plastic clips instead of metal nails or tacks to hold them in place.
8. Climbing Up: Using a ladder when you put up lights? Choose the correct ladder for the job and double check for a certification mark to ensure your portable ladder complies with applicable standards.
9. Keep the Gas Behind Glass: Do not use your gas fireplace if the glass panel is removed, cracked, or broken, and only allow a qualified service person to replace fireplace parts.
10. Sound the Alarm: Test your smoke alarms monthly to make sure they work, and be sure to install smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms on every level of your home -- especially near sleeping areas.
11. Filter-Friendly Furnace: To help prevent CO hazards in your home, have a qualified heating contractor perform a yearly maintenance check of your furnace and venting system, and clean or replace your furnace filter frequently during the heating seasons.
12. Clean the Clutter: Do not store combustible materials such as gasoline, propane, paper, chemicals, paint, rags, and cleaning products near your gas furnace. Gasoline or propane cylinders should be stored outside the home.
Source: CSA International
What's Lurking in your Ducts?
Call us today to help protect your health and your property from ventilation and air quality issues.
Inspecting the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC) is a service offered by SERVPRO Franchise Professionals. Keeping the HVAC system and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may save you money. SERVPRO uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to remove years of dust and grime.
We will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. The inspection can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
The SERVPRO system is the difference - we can help:
Remediate bacteria, fungi, and mold
Reduce potential for mold growth
Restore peak energy efficiency
Eliminate offensive odors
Provide free written inspections and estimates
2016 Fire Demonstration & Educational Seminar
Pekin Fire Department and FireTech control the burns.
On September 29, 2016 we held our 3rd annual fire class for insurance professionals. We hold the class at our very own facility and we conduct live burns inside a house we own on our campus.
Each year we have the Pekin Fire Department control the burns. They are under the direction of FireTech Investigation & Consulting.
The day starts off with breakfast, then leads into some classroom discussion conducted by FireTech. Then the class is lead outside to watch some live burns inside the house. We set up these rooms to be very lifelike with furniture and appliances. The idea is for the insurance professionals to see what a small fire can affect. After a few burns are conducted inside the house we also set fire to a couple cars. We then provide the class with lunch and give them a chance to walk through the house and see the aftermath of the burns. The class will then finish with some classroom discussion.
Call us 309-346-5600 for your Mold Remediation Needs!!
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourages the growth of molds and other organisms, potentially causing a public health problem. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from molds are an important reason to prevent moisture problems leading to mold growth. Possibly health effects include runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aggravation of asthma, sore throat, or inflammation of the sinuses.
Take Precautions - If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, be alert for:
The presence of visible mold.
Strong musty odors, which may indicate mold is present.
Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Emergency Ready Profile
No one plans on a disaster, but you can plan to be "Ready for whatever happens." By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind.
Our team would love to come do an ERP for your business free of charge!! Watch this video to learn more!
SERVPRO Storm Team
Quicker Response Times & Unlimited Resources During a Catastrophic Event!
During the 12/28/15 Ice Storm/Area Wide Power Outage, SERVPRO storm teams from Michigan to Georgia assisted SERVPRO of Peoria with water/sewer mitigation claims.
The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether you're dealing with a tornado, hurricane, blizzard or flood. The SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you. Available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are prepared for the unpredictable. With the ability to mobilize local command centers, along with the resources of more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide, no disaster is too big!
Recent mobilizations of the CAT Storm Response Teams include:
2016 Louisiana floods & Hurricane Matthew
2014 Polar Vortex
2010 Nashville floods
2007 Chicago/ Ohio floods & California wildfires
Here's why it's important for you to know WHERE & HOW your content is being cleaned.
The Esporta Wash System, restores up to 85% of the soft contents that have been traditionally non-restorable!
Here's why it's important for you to know WHERE & HOW your content is being cleaned & restored.
~It gives you and your agent more control over the cost.
~Your content will be cleaned by the latest technology - not harsh dry-cleaning methods or out of date equipment & methods.
~When possibly your large content will be cleaned on site!
~You will have emergency laundry cleaned and returned within 24 hours.
~Hard drives from desktop computers & laptops can be recovered.
~Your content will be inventoried, cataloged and bar coded for more expedited claim process.
~You can request articles of clothing or other items in storage for special needs.
~You can view & inspect all your content at our facility before the claim is settled.
~Content is stored in a safe, controlled environment.
~Your content will be delivered to you at your convenience - not "dropped off" by a common carrier!
What To Do Until Help Arrives
Emergency Tip For Your Home
WATER DAMAGE FROM CONTAMINATED WATER
Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.