SERVPRO of Peoria provides professional board up service to both commercial and residential properties.
Damaged property must be boarded up correctly to prevent secondary damage from weather, moisture, intrusions possibly making a bad situation even worse.
Eliminate the dangers and burden of doing a "self" board up by calling us today.
What is worse than a major home maintenance disaster? Try several major home maintenance disasters… at once. When a house’s water pipes freeze, the situation is not as simple as calling a plumber, an 1/8-inch crack in a pipe can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flooding, serious structural damage, and the immediate potential for mold.
Frozen water pipes are a problem in both cold and warmer climates, affecting quarter-million families each winter, and it can happen in homes with both plastic and copper pipes. It’s all too common; especially considering this damage is largely preventable.
In addition to taking the usual preventive precautions, here are a few steps you can take to keep your pipes from turning frigid nights into inconvenient and expensive ordeals.
When Extreme Temperatures Happen
Even if you’ve taken the right preventative steps, extreme weather conditions can still harm your pipes. Here are a few more steps you can take:
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing. Let warm water drip overnight, preferably from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Keep your thermostat set at the same temperature during both day and night. You might be in the habit of turning down the heat when you’re asleep, but further drops in the temperature, more common overnight, could catch you off guard and freeze your pipes.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Before you skip town
Travelling in the winter months might be good for the soul, but don’t forget to think about your pipes before you leave. Here are a few things you can do:
- Set the thermostat in your house no lower than 55°F (12°C)
- Ask a friend to check on your house daily to make sure it’s warm enough to prevent freezing.
- Shut off and drain the water system (winterize).
If your pipes do freeze
What if your pipes still freeze, despite your best preventive measures? First step: Don’t panic. Just because they are frozen doesn’t mean they’ve already burst. Here’s what you can do:
- If you turn on your faucet and nothing comes out, leave the faucets turned on and call a plumber.
- Do not use electrical appliances in areas of standing water as this can cause electrocution.
- Never try to thaw a pipe with a torch or other open flame because it could cause a fire or serious injury.
- You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe with a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, warming toward the coldest section of pipe.
- If your water pipes have already burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve in the house; leave the water faucets turned on.
Tip:Make sure everyone in your family knows where the water shutoff valve is and how to open and close it.
Content Cleaning Solutions
At SERVPRO of Peoria we are able to care for your content cleaning needs should disaster strike. 95% of contents from fluff and fold laundry to large furniture and appliances are cleaned on site at our facility. Your content can be stored in our secure warehouse during the restoration process.
THE ESPORTA WASH SYSTEM;
- Restores up to 85% of the soft contents that have been traditionally non-restorable!
- Eliminates expensive dry cleaning costs and damage
- Is 20% - 35% of the cost of replacement
THE ELECTRONIC CLEANING & SPARYING CABINET & DRYING CHAMBER is for desktop computers, laptops, tablets, monitors, DVD players, televisions, etc.
OZONE TREATMENT ROOM produces and oxidizing agent that creates the same sweet smelling air associated with a rain storm for clothing, upholstered furniture, carpets, draperies, and toys damaged by smoke and soot or any unwanted odors.
ULTRASONIC CLEANERS are used to clean many different types of objects, including cutlery, glassware, flatware, jewelry, lenses and other optical parts, watches, tools, coins, instruments, industrial parts and many other items damaged by disaster.
12 Tips for Holiday Home Safety
12 Tips for Holiday Home Safety
As you're sprucing up your home this season, keep an eye out for these common holiday trip-ups, fire hazards, and other safety snafus.
1. Merry and Bright: Carefully inspect holiday light strings each year and discard any with frayed cords, cracked lamp holders, or loose connections. When replacing bulbs, unplug the light string and be sure to match voltage and wattage to the original bulb.
2. Lights Out: Always turn off holiday lights when you leave the house unattended or when going to bed.
3. Fresh Is Best: Try to purchase a freshly cut tree, as they are more resistant to ignition. Keep your Christmas tree watered and away from open candles.
4. Timing Is Everything: Use an outdoor timer certified by CSA International to switch lights on and off. Lights should be turned on after 7 p.m. to avoid the electricity rush hour.
5. Check for the Certification Mark: When purchasing light strings, extension cords, spotlights, electrical decorations, gas appliances, or carbon monoxide alarms, look for the certification mark of an accredited certification organization such as CSA International, UL, or ELT to ensure that the products comply with applicable standards for safety and performance.
6. One and Done: Never connect more than one extension cord together; instead use a single cord that is long enough to reach the outlet without stretching, but not so long that it can get easily tangled.
7. The Great Outdoors: When hanging outdoor lights, keep electrical connectors off the ground and away from metal rain gutters. Use insulated tape or plastic clips instead of metal nails or tacks to hold them in place.
8. Climbing Up: Using a ladder when you put up lights? Choose the correct ladder for the job and double check for a certification mark to ensure your portable ladder complies with applicable standards.
9. Keep the Gas Behind Glass: Do not use your gas fireplace if the glass panel is removed, cracked, or broken, and only allow a qualified service person to replace fireplace parts.
10. Sound the Alarm: Test your smoke alarms monthly to make sure they work, and be sure to install smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms on every level of your home -- especially near sleeping areas.
11. Filter-Friendly Furnace: To help prevent CO hazards in your home, have a qualified heating contractor perform a yearly maintenance check of your furnace and venting system, and clean or replace your furnace filter frequently during the heating seasons.
12. Clean the Clutter: Do not store combustible materials such as gasoline, propane, paper, chemicals, paint, rags, and cleaning products near your gas furnace. Gasoline or propane cylinders should be stored outside the home.
Source: CSA International
What's Lurking in your Ducts?
Call us today to help protect your health and your property from ventilation and air quality issues.
Inspecting the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC) is a service offered by SERVPRO Franchise Professionals. Keeping the HVAC system and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may save you money. SERVPRO uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to remove years of dust and grime.
We will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. The inspection can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
The SERVPRO system is the difference - we can help:
Remediate bacteria, fungi, and mold
Reduce potential for mold growth
Restore peak energy efficiency
Eliminate offensive odors
Provide free written inspections and estimates
2016 Fire Demonstration & Educational Seminar
Pekin Fire Department and FireTech control the burns.
On September 29, 2016 we held our 3rd annual fire class for insurance professionals. We hold the class at our very own facility and we conduct live burns inside a house we own on our campus.
Each year we have the Pekin Fire Department control the burns. They are under the direction of FireTech Investigation & Consulting.
The day starts off with breakfast, then leads into some classroom discussion conducted by FireTech. Then the class is lead outside to watch some live burns inside the house. We set up these rooms to be very lifelike with furniture and appliances. The idea is for the insurance professionals to see what a small fire can affect. After a few burns are conducted inside the house we also set fire to a couple cars. We then provide the class with lunch and give them a chance to walk through the house and see the aftermath of the burns. The class will then finish with some classroom discussion.
Call us 309-346-5600 for your Mold Remediation Needs!!
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourages the growth of molds and other organisms, potentially causing a public health problem. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from molds are an important reason to prevent moisture problems leading to mold growth. Possibly health effects include runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aggravation of asthma, sore throat, or inflammation of the sinuses.
Take Precautions - If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, be alert for:
The presence of visible mold.
Strong musty odors, which may indicate mold is present.
Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Emergency Ready Profile
No one plans on a disaster, but you can plan to be "Ready for whatever happens." By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind.
Our team would love to come do an ERP for your business free of charge!! Watch this video to learn more!
SERVPRO Storm Team
Quicker Response Times & Unlimited Resources During a Catastrophic Event!
During the 12/28/15 Ice Storm/Area Wide Power Outage, SERVPRO storm teams from Michigan to Georgia assisted SERVPRO of Peoria with water/sewer mitigation claims.
The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether you're dealing with a tornado, hurricane, blizzard or flood. The SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you. Available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are prepared for the unpredictable. With the ability to mobilize local command centers, along with the resources of more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide, no disaster is too big!
Recent mobilizations of the CAT Storm Response Teams include:
2016 Louisiana floods & Hurricane Matthew
2014 Polar Vortex
2010 Nashville floods
2007 Chicago/ Ohio floods & California wildfires
Here's why it's important for you to know WHERE & HOW your content is being cleaned.
The Esporta Wash System, restores up to 85% of the soft contents that have been traditionally non-restorable!
Here's why it's important for you to know WHERE & HOW your content is being cleaned & restored.
~It gives you and your agent more control over the cost.
~Your content will be cleaned by the latest technology - not harsh dry-cleaning methods or out of date equipment & methods.
~When possibly your large content will be cleaned on site!
~You will have emergency laundry cleaned and returned within 24 hours.
~Hard drives from desktop computers & laptops can be recovered.
~Your content will be inventoried, cataloged and bar coded for more expedited claim process.
~You can request articles of clothing or other items in storage for special needs.
~You can view & inspect all your content at our facility before the claim is settled.
~Content is stored in a safe, controlled environment.
~Your content will be delivered to you at your convenience - not "dropped off" by a common carrier!