Holiday Fireplace Safety
“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire!”
It’s the holiday season, and nothing compares to relaxing in front of a fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a Christmas movie playing in the background. That’s why it’s important to keep yourself and your family safe by practicing fire safety.
To do this it is crucial to remember that for fireplaces and woodstoves you should always:
- Inspect and clean wood stove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions.
- Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed.
There are precautions you can take for portable space heaters as well, including:
- Keep combustible objects at least three feet away from portable heating devices.
- Buy only heaters evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Check to make the portable heater has a thermostat control mechanism, and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Only use crystal clear K-1 kerosene in kerosene heaters. Never overfill it. Use the heater in a well-ventilated room.
These simple actions can help keep this Christmas merry and bright. Let’s leave the roasting to the chestnuts!
SERVPRO of Peoria wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday.
(Tips received from: https://www.ready.gov/home-fires)
If you do experience fire damage in the Peoria area this Christmas call SERVPRO as soon as possible! (309) 637-7300