Recovering After Loss
When a disaster strikes your business, every second between damage and restoration matters. It is important to not only to have a plan on how to handle a catastrophic event while it is happening, but it is just as important to have a solid plan of what to do and who you’ll need to work with once the problem has passed.
Here at SERVPRO®, we like to call this preparation an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) and it helps to make the recovery process move swiftly and smoothly. Of course from our standpoint, we would love it if every business would take advantage of our no-cost ERPs. However, we understand that sometimes building a professional relationship requires a little convincing. So the following is a list of steps that can be taken post-disaster that could help save a business from needing to shut down; all of which would be easier with an ERP.
- As soon as the disaster has ended, change the business/company mindset to recovery. Make temporary repairs, especially to minimize further damage and (If you haven’t already) relocate salvageable equipment and property to a safe, protected location.
- Make sure employees communicate and act appropriately in regard to the circumstances while also providing them with support and assistance. They’re going to be affected by the damages to the business as well.
- Implement your disaster plan. Assess damage, consider if a backup location is needed and make sure that there is a communication strategy in place to get facts to employees, suppliers, customers, and media outlets.
- Inspect your property thoroughly. Document damage, file insurance claims, and track recovery (i.e. keeping receipts).
- Once proper documentation is completed and your insurance professional has been contacted, clean the property to the best of your ability. The exception to this would be if the mess contains hazards that would be detrimental to you or your employees’ health.
- Cultivate partnerships in the community with businesses, government, and nonprofits. You can also connect with chambers of commerce, economic development, and other community support organizations.
- Remember to take everything that happened during and after the event and use it to make updates to future plans (or ERPs).
SERVPRO® is determined to help businesses, big or small, avoid falling into the hole that most businesses do after water, fire, storm, or any other damages occur. Recover fast, recover completely, and get back to work.
Information received from:
If you are faced with business slowing damages or are curious about setting up an ERP, you can contact SERVPRO® of Peoria to get more information about how we are “Here to Help®.” 309-637-7300